[CREATE] Re: raw processing

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 04:17:25 PST 2006

On 3/22/06, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> > The long answer is: it's not that easy. If Digikam applies changes in
> > a non-destructive manner, I'd like to see them as adjustment layers in
> > Krita whenever I want to finetune my photos. And if I load source RAW
> > directly into Krita, I would still like to have changes like TRС curve
> > as adjustment layers. Because now, with GIMP and UFRaw, if I change my
> > mind, I have to do a lot of reopening.
>
> That's a good point... What I personally would like (apart from a digital
> camera that can shoot raw) is to do the initial tweaking in Digikam and then
> load the image in Krita for general messing about. And using adj. layers is a
> good thing here. But it means that either Digikam can save to Krita's file
> format (or the new spiffy format we should be discussing), or Krita can load
> a new file format Digikam could define.

I would rather suggest going Picasa way. What they do is saving
Picasa.ini file in each directory where any changes to originals were
introduced. This file has very simple markup, e.g.:

[IMG_1367.CR2]
crop=rect(0 138 3191 2264)
backuphash=11362
filters=crop=1,0,138,3191,2264;finetune=1,0.000000,0.003922,0.015686,00000000,0.067251;bw=1;radblur=1,0.422922,0.454052,0.871345,0.000000;

Thus you won't resave original file into some new fancy one and waste
disk space. You will just load original file and apply this
description of changes as adjustment layers.

> I guess what's really needed is for Gilles and me to meet for a few days of
> discussion and hacking...

That's why you guys  have such a progress with Krita. You meet often ;)

Alexandre