[CREATE] Lens correction database

Andrew Zabolotny zap at homelink.ru
Wed Aug 15 01:38:01 PDT 2007

Hello!

I'm trying to implement a lens correction logic for UFRaw and I had in
mind to implement something like a database for lens parameters. Of
course I was very pleased to read the thread about lens correction
database on this mailing list.

Is there any movement in this direction?

And some comments.

I would like to have the ability to save user-defined lenses somewhere
in, say, ~/.lensdb/ and have the library automatically find and read
them (perhaps overwriting some "stock" lens definitions). So, if there
should be multi-file support, it would be better imho to split the
database into multiple files, for example by maker. I'm not sure if it
makes sense to split into camera makers and lens makers, perhaps e.g.
canon.xml could contain both Canon cameras and Canon lenses. Having
multiple files will make it easier to install additional packages that
provides additional camera/lens info, they would just add new files
to /usr/share/lensdb/ rather than patching one big file.

The XML structure looks fine to me. However, I'm not sure if the a, b
and c lens distortion parameters are the same at all crop factors? For
example, suppose I take a shot with a full-frame Canon Mark II (crop
factor 1) and with a Sigma SD14 (crop 1.7) with the same lens, say
Sigma 30mm/F1.4 which is available for both mounts. I think the
"absolute" distortion parameters will be very different, is it possible
for this to be taken into account algorithmically?

--
Andrew