[CREATE] XMP : MakerNote

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Jun 7 15:01:47 PDT 2007

Hello,

I am currently working on XMP for Krita, and Gilles Caullier has told me that
one problem with XMP for photograph is that it can't serialize Makernote
(small binary chunks inside exif which can be used to manufacturers to extend
the exif specification to include more information). And searching in google
for XMP and Makernote, you can see that quiet a lot of people are complaining
about that.
The problem about those Makernote is the unavailability of their
specification, some effort has been made to reverse engineered them (a
summary of the effort is available at exiv2 website:
http://www.exiv2.org/makernote.html), but the result is far to be exhaustive,
so there is need to keep the old makernote data chunk with the hope, that in
the future more information can be exctracted from it (and anyway it's needed
to save back to exif).

So I propose, one schema for the data chunk:
uri: http://create.freedesktop.org/xmp/MakerNote/1.0
prefix: mkn

With only value:

RawData as a String with the MakerNote encoded in base64

Then as many schema as specification, with an uri of the form
http://create.freedesktop.org/xmp/MakerNote/MANUFACTURER/VERSION

For instance, for Canon (http://www.burren.cx/david/canon.html)
http://create.freedesktop.org/xmp/MakerNote/Canon/1.0

With tags beeing: