[CREATE] gbr brush format bumped

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Mar 14 05:29:20 PDT 2007

Am 14.03.07, 08:25 +0100 schrieb Sven Neumann:

> On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 08:37 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>
> > Therefore the GBR brush format is bumped to version 4. Is this version of
> > GBR allready in use or still free?
>
> The GIMP Brush format (GBR) has never been free for extension by other
> projects. We have asked the Cinepaint developers several times to use
> their own format instead of doing incompatible changes to the GBR
> format. When the last change had happened, we bit the apple and adopted

CinePaint inherited this format from the Gimp code base.
So your claim is not valid or at least difficult.

Back to the topic:
All the question is about whether the GBR format version 4 is used by
an other application or not.

> the GIMP brush loader code to handle the changed format. But please
> don't do this mistake again. Please change the file extension and the
> file header and create your own brush format.

With respect to the project you lead,
I did not do a mistake related to this toppic in the past. As well I dont
consider the changes to the format a mistake than a necessity.

There is technically too less changing as reason for a complete new
format. A renaming would not decrease possible confusion.
What other benefit should such format bring?

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
development for color management