[CREATE] Clipping Path names in TIFF files

Simon Budig simon at gimp.org
Tue May 29 05:55:22 PDT 2007

Liam R E Quin (liam at holoweb.net) wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 02:15 +0200, Simon Budig wrote:
> [...]
> > - try to encode the name as iso8859-15, which seems to be what photoshop
> >   use by default (or is it windows 1250 - that is a bit hazy at the
> >   moment, needs some more tests).
>
> Is there a specification for this PhotoShop behaviour anywhere?

Not that I am aware of. All I know is, that the name of an 8BIM-Element
is a "Pascal String"...

> > If this turns out to be a non-standard encoding I suggest to just try to
> > encode to iso8859-1, since this is a pretty close "standard" encoding
> > (we might need to do some more tests here to really settle this).
> What about, e.g. Chinese or Japanese layer names?

Photoshop then saves question marks instead of the other characters.

If we are saving a tiff and detect that a name cannot be stored in
iso8859-1 or whatever, then we will use the UTF-8 thing I described.

Bye,
        Simon
--
              simon at budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/