[CREATE] Fwd: [Gimp-developer] OpenPalette Implementation.

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Sun Nov 25 13:10:41 PST 2007

On Saturday 24 November 2007, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> Could you enlighten us about the bad things?

Good point:
 * backward compatible with Exif/IPTC
 * good documentation
 * based on Open Standard and extensible
 * can be embedded in a lot of file formats (and describes how to do it)

Bad point:
 * controlled by Adobe (and only by them, I have nothing against Adobe, just
that the working group of a spec should be opened)
 * lacks schema (documentation isn't enough for me)
 * incompatible with latest revision of RDF (that's annoying because most of
the semantics web, and metadata outside the graphics world use latest RDF)
see [1] for more details
 * their dublin core shema is too limited, for instance the Creator field only
allows the name of the author, while an author is more than that (think of
address, contact, etc...), I know that because it's extensible I can create a
new "xmp schema" that fixes that issue, but then my application would be the
only one in the world to read/write them

In the end, I do believe that all the issues could be easily solved, but
because of the first point it's really depending on the willingness of Adobe
to solve them, and I am not convince they will to do it, they didn't took
those issues into account for OpenDocument (see [2]).

[1] http://www.ldodds.com/blog/archives/000261.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200512/msg00009.html
--
Cyrille Berger