[CREATE] Lens correction database

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Sun Sep 9 08:46:44 PDT 2007

Hi Andrew (and others),

I'm very happy that there is something happening here, since it is unlikely
that I will have the time to do much work in this area.

Here are some comments (I haven't had a very close look at the interface yet).

The lf_corrector_apply does not allow different transformations for the
color channels (which is required for TCA correction). TCA behaviour of most
lenses is close to linear, but some specific ones (especially some fisheye
lenses) exhibit a non-linear relationship. I provided Michel Thoby with some
software to measure the TCA, and he has put a lot of work into testing
different lenses and TCA correction tools. A comparison of tools is
available at:
http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Compare_Fisheyes/Correction_TCA/Illusion_and_reality_TCA.html

To me it seems that photoshop is doing more than just a mere scaling of red
and blue channels.

Also, TCA should not vary with different aperture settings. It will probably
vary a little bit with the subject distance.

There is a nice paper (which I don't have handy right now :-( ) on how the
k1 distortion coefficient can be interpolated across different focal
lengths, by fitting a exponential function to the measured (distortion,focal
length) values. This is much better than linear interpolation. I have been
doing some work on the stability and estimation procedure for the radial
distortion part, but I need some more work to reach final conclusions.
However, the traditional k1, k2 model seems to work quite well for most
rectilinear lenses.

I have written some example xml files and a tool to convert the PTLens
database that might be helpful for inspiration, they are available at:
http://hugin.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hugin/lensdb/trunk/

ciao
   Pablo