[CREATE] assets library

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Wed Sep 26 05:58:17 PDT 2007

> > <color space="rgb" r="1" g="2" b="3" name="123color" spot="false"
> > registration="false">
>
> I would add a reference here. "rgb" can be everything, especially across
> computers.

My "rgb" was just a string to indicate the idea..

> > <space name="rgb">
> > <color r="1" b="0.5" c="0.33333" name=... />
> > <color r="1.0" b="1.0" c="0.33333" name=... />
> > </space>
>
> Grouping seems a good idea to me.

Yes

> > Conceptually, the color space is an attribute that describes how a color
> > is specified, thus it should be an attribute of the color.
> >
> > On the other hand, the color space also defines what attributes are
> > allowed to define the color. The current proposal allows things like
> >
> >  <color space="rgb" h="8" s="9" v="10" name="8910color">
> >
> > which would be undefined. Of course one can explicitely disallow this in
> > the spec. But you can't express this rule in a DTD, so you cannot easily
> > catch it by validation.
>
> Good to have someone with XML knowledge.
>
> > I'd vote for something like the following:

> > It is better defined because the colorspace defines its attributes. Also
> > you will note that the color values are floating point numbers between
> > 0.0 and 1.0. The other examples that I have seen so far used integers
> > without actually defining the range of them anywhere.

The space could/would define these, and I think allowing a user to create a
colour list in both notations is useful. Using floating point where the
space doesnt allow for it, will also lead to rounding issues.

> Good point. We will see more value range dependent things in the future I
> guess, because of HDR becoming more and more popular.

Theres no reason why one space cant use decimals and another integers.. or
even r="15" b="0.2".

> Are the language specifics be allowed for floating point values? Or are
> floats always be defined to english x.x notation?

It shouldnt matter, but it will depend on the XML parser I guess.

> Despite my lesser XML knowledge, this example would at least allow
> arbitrary colour channels.

Are we going to add channels to existing spaces? rgbaZ?

If the spaces are defined, the attributes are set.

> How about alpha? I can't think a colour without it. Some applications want

> An other idea for a newly created format is to use the ICC colour space
> signatures. They are already defined and widely used (big endian
> notation taken from icc34.h distributed with littleCMS):
>     icSigXYZData                        = 0x58595A20L,  /* 'XYZ ' */
>     icSigLabData                        = 0x4C616220L,  /* 'Lab ' */
>     icSigLuvData                        = 0x4C757620L,  /* 'Luv ' */

Nothing wrong with this per se, however, ... no user is going to read that
with any comfort.

Craig