[CREATE] assets library

Jon A. Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Fri Sep 28 20:54:11 PDT 2007

On Sep 28, 2007, at 10:32 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> For instance the ICC profile in Tiff (v6.0 1992) is defined in the ICC
> spec (1995?) not vice versa. Tiff was easy enough extensible to do
> such
> things, Exif, geo referencing ... Ok, Adobe registers new TIFF tags on
> request. But this makes no new standard.

[SNIP]

> These examples show how something new is possible with a extensible
> specification, without touching such a spec.

But I think that is exactly what makes Tiff so hard to implement
robustly.

It's so complex and allows for so many extensions that had been taken
in so many directions, that often the only way to read some Tiff
files is to read it with the same program that wrote it.

Things have matured a lot in the computer graphics world, so we
should be able to at least get things a little better. Try to cover
the common things. But also allow for extensions... however try to
make those not needed as much. And also try to get things so that as
they are extended there is at least some logic to things.