[CREATE] Fwd: Color swatches

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 22:59:13 PDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Igor Novikov <igor.e.novikov at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 5:36 AM
Subject: Re: Color swatches
To: Olivier BERTEN <olivier.berten at gmail.com>

Hi Olivier,

Great work! I think we can include the code after additional modification
into sK1 as a part of palette manager. The most interested part is a
CorelDRAW format, because users can extract some proprietary palettes from
CorelDRAW installation (PANTONE palettes for example). It seems this code
allows resolving PANTONE colors usage issue into FOSS applications because
users will know where to get the palettes and how to convert its. Something
like as for MS core fonts for Linux ;)

Regarding registration color I am agreed with you. It should be special
color instance. For regular 4-color prepress it could be usual CMYK color
but for spot color separation it should be special instance (for ps/pdf
generation). We will extend sK1 colorspaces by this color type.

But proposed xml-palette format is complicated. It seems not all
applications will support such complex scheme. May be simple well-formatted
xml can be more useful as intermediate specification.

Regards,

Igor Novikov
sK1 Project
http://sk1project.org