[CREATE] Swatches color file format

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Sat Aug 30 15:18:12 PDT 2008

On Saturday 30 August 2008, you wrote:
> >> one specific interest is the sRGB tag, I would like to know if it
> >> will
> >> be removed in favor of something like <RGB space="" r="n.n" b="n.n"
> >> g="n.n" /> where the space tag if just left as empty.
> > Why would this be better ?
>
> It came up in misc. discussions. One factor is that it makes intent
> explicit, instead of possibly an accidental oversight. Another thing
> is it makes validation and checks simpler and able to catch more.
>
> That's why I believe the space attribute was set as required, if it
> was wanted to be sometimes empty then the attribute would just have
> been marked as optional.
> (empty is bad, like empty "alt" attributes on HTML images)

Actually I was interested in knowing why removing sRGB in favor of RGB would
be a good idea :)

But now that I think of it, I remember that we are considering to make the
sRGB tag mandatory, to be certain that the palette can be used everywhere,
even in application that don't have color management, or that don't support
the color space of the original color. So that's an other reason to have sRGB
as a seperate tag.

--
Cyrille Berger