[CREATE] Lens correction database

sebastian sauer scb at lo-res.org
Tue Jan 8 02:36:53 PST 2008

Hi,

[ x-post on purpose. reply-to set to create at lists.freedesktop.org ]

Wed 07 Nov 2007 20:42, Andrew Zabolotny wrote:
> After more than two months the first release of the lens database and
> library is out for alpha testing. Anybody interested is invited to look
> and comment on it.

wow! this is pretty great. you guys rock :)

basically all this lens+camera "defect" modelling is also very useful in
the geomatics/remote-sensing area. (of course also in computer vision,
medical imageing, etc.)

i had a quick look @  http://lensfun.berlios.de/manual/elem_calibration.html
and also read in the ML archive the high-quality disscussion you guys
had. (lot's of useful info there!)
e.g. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/create/2007-August/thread.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/create/2007-September/thread.html#932

> Since this list is not the best place to flood about it,
agreed!

> I propose all further discussions to be moved to the dedicated berlios
> forum and bug/patchtracker.
mmh, maybe an new mailing list, dedicated to photogammetry?
basically we share the very same problem, but our practical realisations
of a camera/sensor are quite broad. e.g. a DSLR camera has a tiny
CCD-sensor on it's back-plane, while a professional aerial camera has a
back-plane of 350mmx350mm, etc..

e.g. on the geomatics/remote-sensing side OSSIM ( http://www.ossim.org ),
also already has support/code for lens correction for modern aerial cameras
(but basically that's the same. lens-correction is useful for all
cameras/sensors with lenses :)

GRASS GIS ( http://grass.itc.it/ ) on the other hand does not even have
lens-correction support at all it appears. ( yesterday night i was wading
throu the code, i couldn't spot any. feel free to correct me.
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/imagery/i.ortho.photo/ )

> My plans is to start adding support for it into UFRaw.
great. so with ufraw-batch it will be possible pre-process aerial photos
(which were shot with a DSLR camera) to rectilinear, and when further process
them in GRASS. looks good.

> I hope this real-world usage will show the weak points of the library, especially
> because in UFRaw it will be a very untypical usage (applied on a bayer
> image).

cheers,
s.