[CREATE] LGM 2009

Dave Neary dneary at free.fr
Wed Jun 11 07:28:11 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Now that LGM 2008 is over, attention turns to LGM 2009.

I know that Andy has already tentatively proposed Singapore, but for a
number of reasons (not least the cost, and the problem that many people
wouldn't be able to go), I'm not a fan of that option.

I mentioned to Ton Roosendaal that Ansterdam would be a great site, and
whether he'd be prepared to lead up the organisation and put in a
proposal, and today he got back to me:

Ton Roosendaal said:
> I've been approached by the Amsterdam city council, if we had ideas
> for an open source based CG conference next year june. They want to
> align it to big 3d Games event in Amsterdam, and the Dutch game days
> in Utrecht.
>
> I've immediately mentioned LGM to them. They need us to make an
> estimate before july 1. Answer then will follow in sept/okt.
>
> Is this opportunity worth pursuing, or did you find a good host city
> already? Note, if this works it'll be decadent, with enough money to
> fly in all celebs we need. :)

So - does this sound like a good option for people? It's a change of
schedule, and also perhaps not as intimate as we've had over the past 3
years, but Amsterdam is a transport hub for Europe, so cheap to get to
from Asia, the US and all over Europe, and is a very lively city that we
haven't been to previously.

If there is a general feeling that this is an option, I'll give Ton a
green light to put together an estimate for costs, and we should have a
definitive site for the conference soon.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Dave.

--