[CREATE] LGM 2009

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Wed Jun 11 10:30:21 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 11 June 2008 18:23:10 Jon Phillips wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 17:16 +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:
> > 2008/6/11 Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>:
> > > go to Amsterdam to see what Ton has built and copy, emulate it
> > > ... blender institute is a brilliant model for funding free
> > > and open development.
> >
> > +1
>
> At the end of the day, the best way to insure participation is to figure
> out the cheapest way to get people to some location.
>
> Jon

Singapore will never be cheapest, that means hauling people from the US and
Europe to Asia.. and when we are gathering sponsorship, it only makes sense
to push the sponsors' money as far as it can go. I dont see it reasonable to
pay 1000 USD or euro per person when we can do that for half the people and
the rest for a lot less. Add to that the travel time. Believe me, I would
also love Australia so I can go home for a weekend (gah).. but still.. I dont
see it reasonable at this point. Maybe once the conference is 5yo, can we
claim for a bigger event etc, with more sponsors and further distances...

As for the US, has anyone considered the limitations that might bring when you
have developers actively decoding/reverse engineering in countries that allow
it, but not in a potential host country?

I'm for Amsterdam this time around, especially if there's sponsors already in
the works in the form of the government there. The economics make more sense
this year around, and we might end up with a surplus to put towards the
following year too.

My 3.5c
Craig