[CREATE] What is a gradient?

Joao S. O. Bueno gwidion at mpc.com.br
Wed Jun 11 18:02:32 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Olivier BERTEN wrote:
> I mean, in graphic design/visual art, not in mathematics.
>

> Is it limited to color? 3 samples: http://www.selapa.net/create/
>

> Do you think these are gradients, why?

I don't see these as gradients. We could even refer to these as
computed patterns.  I think that  because these are not "drop in"
substitutes for gradients today. IMHO the major difference lies in
that these patterns need two coordinates rather than one to get a
color value.

However, of course the idea of a cross-application, resuable,
scalable, rendered 2d patterns sounds nice for me. Maybe these could
be implemented alongside gradients. Such patterns could, for example,
be written as postscript functions - or some other language for
expressions that would be easily embedable almost anywhere (Lua comes
to mind).

	js
	-><-