[CREATE] Filling in LensFun database - solution (well, maybe)

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Wed Jun 18 13:56:50 PDT 2008

On Wed 18-Jun-2008 at 13:01 -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
>On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 17:22 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>
>> We need a tool that would help us filling LensFun database with
>> geometry distortions data, right? (Not speaking about CA right now,
>> sorry)
>
>Doesn't hugin/panotools already have a lot of such data, and an
>algorithm for starting with?  I see no reason to duplicate that.
>If it's deficient in some way, maybe the panotools mantainers
>would be interested in enhancing it??

The hugin lens correction tutorial hasn't been written.  I'll attach
an email I wrote recently describing what this tutorial would look
like.

A couple of points that I ought to add to this lens database
discussion:

0. Lensfun already has an import of the old 'ptlens' database, so it
is primed with a lot of older camera calibrations.

1. hugin does this lens calibration during the normal panorama
stiching process - There is a potential for hugin to submit
calibrations automatically (similar to freedb), see previous
discussions on this list.

2. Printing out a target and photographing it isn't very practical.
How do you get it flat?  How do you illuminate it evenly?  How do
you deal with focus distance issues?

3. hugin SVN has a tool called tca_correct which can be used to
determine chromatic aberration automatically, though not fast enough
for interactive use, this needs some work but is very promising.

Here is my description of a (to be written) lens correction
tutorial:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/two-photos/

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/perspective/

http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Control_Points_tab#Straight_line_control_points