[CREATE] LGM 2009

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 12:23:30 PDT 2008

2008/6/11 Dave Neary <dneary at free.fr>:

> Hi all,
>
> Now that LGM 2008 is over, attention turns to LGM 2009.
>
> I know that Andy has already tentatively proposed Singapore, but for a
> number of reasons (not least the cost, and the problem that many people
> wouldn't be able to go), I'm not a fan of that option.
>
> I mentioned to Ton Roosendaal that Ansterdam would be a great site, and
> whether he'd be prepared to lead up the organisation and put in a
> proposal, and today he got back to me:
>
> Ton Roosendaal said:
> > I've been approached by the Amsterdam city council, if we had ideas
> > for an open source based CG conference next year june. They want to
> > align it to big 3d Games event in Amsterdam, and the Dutch game days
> > in Utrecht.
> >
> > I've immediately mentioned LGM to them. They need us to make an
> > estimate before july 1. Answer then will follow in sept/okt.
> >
> > Is this opportunity worth pursuing, or did you find a good host city
> > already? Note, if this works it'll be decadent, with enough money to
> > fly in all celebs we need. :)
>
> So - does this sound like a good option for people? It's a change of
> schedule, and also perhaps not as intimate as we've had over the past 3
> years, but Amsterdam is a transport hub for Europe, so cheap to get to
> from Asia, the US and all over Europe, and is a very lively city that we
> haven't been to previously.
>
> If there is a general feeling that this is an option, I'll give Ton a
> green light to put together an estimate for costs, and we should have a
> definitive site for the conference soon.
>
> Thoughts?

Hi all,

Lots have been said so far regarding Singapore and Amsterdam. I think we
should make a decision pretty soon now. Do we feel we need a couple more
weeks for discussing? I would like to hear from *all* teams.

If so, I would suggest that by mid-July we come up with a decision on the
location and also constitute an organisation team (both local and on the
web) working on the next edition. Things go quick and sponsoring is not
easy. Plus, if we want to increase media awareness on the LGM, the sooner we
start, the better.

Things to consider first to make a choice are:

1. Estimated costs for travel for all the participating teams.
2. Estimated costs for accomodations (hotels and food). This is important to
figure out whether some people will still be able to make it to a specific
destination provided the only reimbursement they get is their flight.
3. Time of the year to make sure we have no agenda conflicts with other
important event(s)

You might also find advisable to add (or at least figure out) the costs of
the people who are not necessarily official members of a specific team but
who do give lots of valuable inputs to one or more projects. Also, we must
let room to newcomers and new projects. Getting fresh blood is also what LGM
is about.

Cheers,

Louis