[CREATE] Suggested dates for LGM 2009 Montreal

Joao S. O. Bueno gwidion at mpc.com.br
Sat Nov 8 04:23:38 PST 2008

On Saturday 08 November 2008, Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Saturday 08 November 2008 05:52:35 Jon Phillips wrote:
> > I think we should compress the conference into 2 days. Four days is
> > soooo long. And I think the weekend dates are by far the best as its
> > hard for people to get time off.
> >
> > I really don't think more than 2 days is productive time use.
> >
> > We could do 2 days of conf. and then 1 day unconference work,
> > collaboration time. That would be great for this year...
>
> What we find is trying to fit development time in is hard (ie, getting
> those heads together once a year and then conflicting with presentations).
> This is one of the biggest uses of the LGM period the Scribus team has, and
> its done, at this point, only once per year.
+1

> I think it should be officially 3-4 days still, but have mornings or
> afternoons or 1-2 days for just development within or between teams. If it
> happens that we have enough talks to fill more time, then there are surely
> some talks purely for end-users that could be scheduled appropriately where
> only one team member would have to go to.
+1

And Craig also wrote:

> One other thing to note is that for those who might be lucky enough to be
> sponsored by business as a work activity, or for real sponsors putting
> money into LGM, their preferred "real" conference days may actually be
> weekdays. I know we had that comment from some for LGM 2 in Montreal.

Indeed. Event though I am usually sponsored by LGM itself, it makes absolutely
no sense for me to travel 8000Km+ for  a weekend only event.
Actually, in the last two years, due to departue and arrival times, I spent
three more businness days than the ones spent at the conference site itself.

Here in Brazil, larger events seen to be "converging" to a Thursday to
Saturday format.

Maybe we could do a "userland" Wednesday for those who could get earlier, and
insert workshops and lectures aimed at final users, and the official oppening
at Wedneday night - and then some clever arrangement of lectures and
team-spaces on the other three days, and some super-closing activity on
Sunday morning.

	js
	-><-