[CREATE] Bad news from Amsterdam

Femke Snelting snelting at geuzen.org
Fri Oct 3 00:21:20 PDT 2008

> "However, the video team did an amazing job this year [3] - a combination of
> live streams of all the talks plus volunteers forwarding questions from IRC
> meant that people could stay involved despite the distance.
> [3]  http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf8/Videoteam/Thanks "
>
> There is more information at
> http://www.news.software.coop/debconf-8-video-team-gives-excellent-service/42/
> and http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf8/Streams.
>
> This is definitely an option worth considering for those of us who really can't
> attend due to costs or other engagements.

I doubt the OSP's will manage a roadtrip to Singapore ;-) but I think in
that case we would work with Adam Hyde (thx for offering Adam!) to
organise a parallel event and relay through chat and IRC from Europe,
which could be nice as well.

In my experience streaming the talks does of course not replace a
physical meeting but I agree with Alex that it can involve people on
another level if taken seriously (i.e. moderators on chat and stream). I
think also LGM itself could benefit from this kind of remote
participation. Something to consider, whether LGM lands in Amsterdam or
Singapore this year.

In case LGM is held in The Netherlands, I've discussed with Florian
Cramer who heads the Piet Zwart Media Design MA in Rotterdam. This is to
my knowledge the only art and design programme run entirely on F/LOSS
(Shoebot Ricardo Lafuente graduated there). It could mean involving
their MA students, organising additional workshops, talks, events -- the
PZI would be happy to contribute with their expertise.

Good luck deciding!

Femke