[CREATE] Categorizing resources

Aurimas Juška aurimas.juska at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 14:44:48 PDT 2008

Hi,

> * the tag cache xml file, is the format of it specified somewhere? Maybe it
> could be added to the set of create specs we share?
The XML format was designed based on the needs, and each resource
record in it looks something like this:
<resource identifier="/home/auris/gimp/tagging/build/share/gimp/2.0/brushes/Circle-9.vbr"
checksum="a27442e59726f27e94008e9513e9984b">
  <tag>simple</tag>
  <tag>project a</tag>
  <tag>small</tag>
  <tag>round</tag>
</resource>
It could be added to the set of create specs, but it was not thought
to support other applications. Therefore, it might be needed to expand
or change it a bit.

> * is the tag file loading for new sets of resources already implemented for
> Gimp?
Not yet as it is not completely decided how resource import / export
should work in Gimp. Basically, there could be the same xml tag cache
file together with resource files (for example, in the same *.tag.gz).
Only the filenames would be local instead of absolute.

> * can tags be localized? That's to say, I want to deliver a set or resources
> with a tags file that contains for every tag a translation that's visible to
> the user.
Can tags be localized in resource package or in application?
If localization information would be available in resource package,
user could choose which language to use when importing resources (but
not later). That is one of the features to be considered for resource
import / export system in Gimp.
The question of translatable tags in the application was considered in
early stages of the project, but we decided that tags should not
contain translation info.

> * what happens when a resource is modified that has two tags, i.e., is shown
> in two collections? Is the resource silently duplicated and the change only
> saved in one tag, or is that something the user can control in gimp?
I'm not sure I understand the question. There are no two collections,
there is one filtered "view" of original collection (which is a
collection object itself) which changes dynamically based on tags user
wants to filter on, and changes in original collection (resources
added, deleted). No duplication of resources is needed when resource
is modified.