[CREATE] LGM website && project description

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Wed Feb 25 06:14:46 PST 2009

> Dave, I'm providing here quickly, but you might want to add onto this statement.
>
> Open Font Project needs to be renamed:
>
> Open Font Library
> "Typefaces we can all share."
> http://openfontlibrary.org
>
> The Open Font Library is a sister project of the Open Clip Art
> Library. The goal of this project is to collect free software fonts -
> those that may be used, changed and shared freely.
>
> * Find fine fonts: The Open Font Library hosts the cream of
> non-proprietary typeface designs.
> * Share your typefaces: Individuals share their work here and benefit
> from collaborative contributions.
> * Learn how to make fonts: Become a better type designer with input
> from our global community.
> * Start using @font-face: Link in to Web Fonts! We host font files
> that you can directly link to from your sites.
>
> Fonts: http://openfontlibrary.org/media/view/media/fonts

Hi everyone,

We really need to take into account the larger scope of the open font
community which will be present in the projects description page.

AFAIK representatives from the projects below will attend and contribute
to this year's edition (maybe others too, this is not an exhaustive
list). We have font design related tools, font management tools,
foundries and designers involved in upstream font projects, branching or
contributing to existing fonts, hackers maintaining key components of
the font rendering stack, packaging teams, etc.

I'll provide a description in English and French shortly but here are
the names + links as a starting point... The relevant people can always
adjust it later on.  (fontmatrix already has an entry).

- - Fontforge
http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/
(and the rest of the open font design toolkit:
Spiro, fonttools, xgridfit, Graphite, etc,)

- - OSP
http://ospublish.constantvzw.org/

- - Dejavu
http://dejavu-fonts.org

- - Unifont.org : freedestop font working group / TextLayout
http://unifont.org/

- - Anloc : The african network for localization
http://www.africanlocalisation.net/

- - The Debian Fonts Task Force
http://pkg-fonts.alioth.debian.org/

- - The Ubuntu fonts team
https://launchpad.net/~fonts

- - The Fedora font SIG
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts

- - The SIL NRSI: Non-Roman Script Initiative
http://scripts.sil.org

- - ...

Cheers,

- --
Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font team / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org