[CREATE] OpenRaster minimal implementation

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Jan 2 09:27:32 PST 2009

On Friday 02 January 2009, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> 2009/1/2 Martin Renold wrote:
> > My conclusion is that the the very minimal OpenRaster that MyPaint saves
> > now
>
> Are we talking about newly released 3.29 or something else?
>
> I'd be pretty interesting in measuring opening/saving time for large
> files. I've heard a lot of critics at an early stage of OpenRaster
> development about how much time it will take so save an archive of XML
> and bitmaps, especially when we are talking about 10-12 layers with
> masks.

basically it's the same technique we've been using for Krita -- it's really
not inefficient, since you first load and parse a small xml file (and even
with hundreds of layers and masks, it'll still be really small xml file
compared to the average tomcat web app configuration file), and then you just
load the binary pixel data for each layer. In openraster, that's in png
format, in krita it's uncompressed bytes -- but given that both are in a zip
file, that's not a big difference.