[CREATE] KOffice profiles license

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 08:33:33 PST 2009

Hi :)

Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> So we could call "Freetone 134 U" the same RGB/CMYK values ?

As I understand it, trademark law covers more than just the use of a
specifically trademarked word.  Merely naming an item such that someone
would make an obvious association with a trademark can be enough to
infringe.

I seem to remember a case here in the UK some time ago where the
manufacturers of "Penguin" chocolate biscuits successfully sued a
supermarket for naming their competing product "Puffin" bars, and using
packaging featuring a similar image of an upright dark-coloured bird.

Freetone 134 U, would probably fall foul of trademark law for similar
reasons - i.e. the obvious association with the Pantone trademark - as,
I suspect, would any other system which imitated the Pantone mapping of
numbers to shades.

Usual disclaimers apply - I'm no lawyer, just some random internet
blowhard. ;)

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson