[CREATE] ink/paper simulation

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sat Jul 11 20:11:35 PDT 2009

Am Samstag, 11. Juli 2009 13:22:00 schrieb Tobias Jakobs:
> Hi!
>
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 02:09, Christoph
>
> Schäfer<christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
> > The results are more than promising. While some major (and also some
> > minor) colour vendors of all sorts (not just ink, but also glass or
> > plastics) agreed to make their colours available to Scribus, sometimes in
> > return for being mentioned as a supporter on our website, they did so
> > under Free licenses (most of them BSD-style). This means that most, if
> > not all FLOSS graphics projects will be able to use these palettes in the
> > future.
>
> Nice work, can you perhaps publish your results to the create wiki?

I certainly will. I hope you understand that many negoations are currently
going on, and some of them have to wait until after the summer vacations in
various parts of the world. I also want to make sure that I'll be able to
post a reasonably huge set of freely licensed palettes from commercial
vendors in one go instead of adding them piece by piece. Another big issue is
the consolidation in the market that happened during the last years. As a
result, I may get a nod from an acquired subsidiary which will then be
retracted by the holding company.

To cut a long story short, there have been some impressive successes, but a
lot of things are still in flux.

I also hope you understand that some vendors created Scribus XML files on
their own, i.e. at their own cost, in the expectation of being mentioned as a
supporter on the Scribus website in return. While the palettes themselves are
freely licensed, it would seem a bit unfair to me to see them appear in other
projects without any acknowledgement before we even added their logos to our
site and shipped the palettes with Scribus. While I'm aware that some members
are likely to disagree with my stance, I will stick to it. After all, it's me
who is negotiating with vendors and trying convince them to make a deal that
will allow for Free licensing ;)

Cheers

Christoph