[CREATE] LGM2010: trip sponsoring and other financial issues

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Fri May 15 17:13:43 PDT 2009

Hi all!

I'd like to propose an idea how to resolve financial issues for LGM2010.

As you can notice Pledgie donation campaign for LGM in this year was not
successful. So we can suppose that next year will not be better. But there
is another way to collect money for LGM2010.

In this year sK1 Project has sponsored LGM trip for 3 persons. It was
possible due to AdSense used on my sites (not sk1project.org only). So I
would like to propose similar way to resolve LGM financial support issue. Of
course ads on LGM site only cannot cover all conference expenses. So it
would be great if all LGM participators join efforts in next LGM edition
preparing.

This could be organized by following way: each project provides for LGM
small advertisement place on main page of project site. Then LGM creates
individual advertisement code for each project (according to site design and
so on) which will be translated during this year. Thus LGM can collect
required amount of money to support next edition including participators
trip sponsoring. Here is ad example:

http://sk1project.org/images/ad_example.png

Such ad is not aggressive and doesn't break site design. So it's something
like donation banner but I think such Ad Network should be more effective
way than regular donations. Of course the result depends on major open
source graphics projects: Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus, Blender etc. because
income from small projects will be symbolic (our sK1 Project is a middle
size advertisement platform - after first public sK1 release we got
additional visitors on our site and actually we have ~2000-3000 visits per
day). Using my experience I can evaluate that daily income of such Ad
Network can be ~50-100 USD per day.

Our project can help in technical issues of such Ad Network, but financial
management and common issues should be under LGM control.

Trip sponsoring is highly important for LGM future. We should involve new
projects and participators otherwise LGM will be something like "oneman
show".

So it would be great to know community opinion concerning this issue!

Regards,

Igor Novikov
sK1 Project
http://sk1project.org