[CREATE] Proposals for LGM 2010 - Deadline approaching

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed May 27 10:34:07 PDT 2009

2009/5/27 Yuval Levy <create07 at sfina.com>

> Louis Desjardins wrote:
> > The decision will be taken during the following week
> > and officially announced on Monday June 8.
> >
> > Please help us stay on schedule.
>
> do you expect us to express a preference? is there any consultation /
> voting? what I know at the moment is not enough to express a preference.

The whole process is completely transparent and open.

> is there a place where the different options/venues are described?

It will be right here, on this mailing list.

Everyone is free to express his/her views, comments, questions or support on
the venue and the proposals.

> for each venue I would like to see:
> - *who* will be the organizing team? how will they share responsibility?
> who will go after sponsors? local press? local government? local public?
> what other functions are needed in the org? who can help and how?
> - what *infrastructure* is available? what will it cost?
> - how is the *local* graphics environment in relationship to floss? and
> the local government? and general public?
> - how is the *local* graphic arts scene? what kind of connections can we
> expect to develop to the local graphics community and to the local
> general public?
> - *individual participation costs* in terms of approximate lodging+food?
> travel? visa requirements?
> - who are the *backers* of your plan? who will foot the bills? are there
> any government subventions? schools? local industries? or any other
> source of funding that give your proposal a solid foundation?

All of these are good points and need to be adressed. Most of the info can
then be put into the wiki and further down the road make it into the LGM
website.

We are aiming at having a team work, just like we did for Montreal 2009, and
it worked great! We need a solid local participation/organisation and we
have a solid remote task force to give a hand.

As for money handling, we can of course discuss this here. From my part I
can only suggest we gather the money in one single place for most of it, and
I would suggest again we ask the GNOME Foundation to give a hand on this.
There will always be a need for some money to be handled locally but this in
my view is only for small amounts, for some local printing if not sponsored,
t-shirts and the like. The big figures, the reimbursements of travel fees,
must be handled by a larger organisation we can really rely on.

> I recall two open offers from the closing talk in Montréal: Bruxelles
> and an exotic location in southern India (Kaveh, forgive me, I do not
> recall the name of the place. was it Paradise?)
>
> Are there any other serious offers on the table?

This is what we will see in the coming days. We have until May 31st for
this.

> Can the leaders for each venue come up before June 8 with a plan? If I
> have to express an opinion / support a decision, I'd like to read those
> plans.

They are asked to come up here on or before May 31st.

We all then have a week to discuss, ask for details, comment, whatever.

We decide and announce the decision on June 8th.

> Purely as a "tourist destination", southern India is more
> exotic/attractive to me. Bruxelles may be better connected to grab the
> attention of global decision makers (and should make sure to send
> invitation to the European parliament). Either way, I'm a supporter.
> 2010 is still too far out to make travel plans, but we need to move
> forward and make conference plans.

Yes, indeed, we need to plan ahead. We need all those months to make that
happen in the best possible way! :)

> Yuv

Cheers!

Louis