[CREATE] LGM 2010 web logistics

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Wed May 27 14:17:53 PDT 2009

Just a thought here regarding some of the logistical tasks of putting the
event together.  Namely, talk proposals and attendee registration.  I know
that most community-run events (by which I mean not underwritten and managed
by a company) roll their own registration system.  At least one of them,
SCALE in Los Angeles, has put its code up for reuse by others:
http://code.google.com/p/scalereg/.  Ilan Rabinovitch told me a couple of
things about it: it's Django, it handles online registration, reporting, and
on-site checkin, and it can integrate with Paypal (not that LGM charges, of
course, but who knows; it could be useful for the dinner or t-shirts).  With
LGM '10 a year away, is anybody enough of a Django ninja to take a look at
the code and see if they think it could come in handy for next year?

Ilan also mentioned that they are collaborating with the Utah Open Source
Conf on Utah's "conman" system that manages speaker proposals.  That link is
here: http://code.google.com/p/utos-conman/ ... although I'm not clear if
they've put it into production yet.  The SCALE registration system has run
SCALE for several years.

Thoughts?

Nate
--