[CREATE] LGM 2010 Website

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon Oct 5 22:45:55 PDT 2009

hi yuv

> I was really hoping to see more discourse, more opinions, more
> energy...

i wanted to post a well elaborated mail, but -- exactly! -- i missed
some energy over the weekend.

> >> "Creative Suite" refers to the most important feature of that
> >> software: it is part of a suite and it is for creative use.
> >
> > The most important feature of the software is surely the freedom we
> > give our users, no? Creative Suite sounds like something that
> > Adobe or Corel would have already trademarked to me, even if it
> > weren'talready an Adobe thing - it screams "multi-thousand dollar
> > commercial software".
>
> The most important *to you*, Dave.

this is exactly the point of the mail i was writing (and that i may
still send in the next future to better detail my position).

when looking for a new logo, a new website, even a new name,
we have to respect the fact that freedom means different things to
different people and that the LG* (existing or potential) user base
mostly don't care of any other freedom than not having to pay for
their software.

it's a bit of a contradiction, but today most (computer based) creative
people simply don't care about the tool they are using and just go for
what they are used to.

they may start praise liberty once they start using free tools, but
before: no chance. even graphic designers and artists who are focused
on open content and social freedom activists don't care about their
tools!

on the other side, for most LG* activist and developers (most of all
for the loudest and most active ones) freedom is the corner stone of
LG*.

we can't and shouldn't ignore it! (i won't give move details on this
point, since i suppose that i am talking to you!)

also the fact that the graphic designer and artists, who are active in
the LG* world praise the gain in creative liberty they achieved with
free tools should be a sign that we should not give up the promotion of
the libre/free side of LG*.

summarizing my point of view: libre is an essential element of LG* but
the promotion of LG* has to focus (and promote) other values, too
(like creativity).

voilà, and the next time i will try to bring some more concrete
proposals...

have a nice day
a.l.e