[CREATE] synfig 0.62 is out

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Wed Oct 14 02:19:25 PDT 2009

On Monday, October 12, 2009, 2:31:00 PM, Alexandre wrote:

AP> Heya,

AP> Talking of file formats support... New stable version of Synfig, the
AP> 2D vector graphics animation editor, is out and features basic SVG 1.0
AP> import. If you want to test it with Inkscape files, please save to
AP> Plain SVG :)

Interesting. There is a big need for an animation studio that generates SVG.

It seems though that SVG import is either as a raster file (converted to PNG) or by an xslt to convert SVG to synfig xml format
http://synfig.org/Svg2synfig

similarly output is either to raster formats, or there is another xslt to convert synfig to SVG
http://synfig.org/Sif2svg

The converter seems to have an animated svg example
http://synfig.org/Sif2svg
which is hopeful. However, some conversions are a bit basic:
http://www.linkmauve.fr/dev/synfig/sif2svg/official/installer-logo.xhtml

I see svg listed under both import and export in the roadmap, so look forward to seeing this project progress.
http://synfig.org/Software_roadmap

 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris at w3.org
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead