[CREATE] LGM 2009 panoramic picture of the GIMP developers

Yuval Levy create07 at sfina.com
Wed Oct 14 11:04:46 PDT 2009

Hallo Martin,

Martin Nordholts wrote:
> May we reuse the image [1] in the 2.8 release notes much like we
> did in the 2.6 release notes [2]?

it was agreed with the participants to the photo shooting that the image
is released under Creative Commons Attribute Sharealike (a.k.a. the
equivalent of the GPL for content).

to make the agreement really kosher, and the CC-BY-SA release safe, I'd
need a model release form signed by each participant. With such a small
number of people it should be easy to do.

When you credit me, please link to http://www.photopla.net/

If you need higher resolution or different perspective, let me know and
I'll help. AFAIK a link to a higher resolution TIFF is being circulated
amongst the GIMP developers.

To contact me personally: first name at last name dot CH. If you write
to any of my mailing list aliases, messages are filtered to a spam
folder and there is no guarantee that I read it (I skim for known
senders / subjects from time to time).

> It was an interesting analysis of GIMP as an application btw. I agree
> and acknowledge most of the problems you point out.

thanks. I don't know how the GIMP project is organized nor how I could
help solving the issues I've encountered / improving the GIMP. I am a
code monkey, just getting my toes wet at C++ with some easy Hugin stuff.

I can articulate what I want from an image editor but I don't have all
the necessary skill and background knowledge to do this in the GIMP.

Plus my "FLOSS-time" is currently aabsorbed to 99% by Hugin. Once there
is enough continuity there, I can focus on other areas.

My key skill is to be a pain in the *** until things move; to design and
document processes; to initiate change; to lead to a gentler learning
curve; to enable contribution. It has worked well for Hugin - you can
see much of the result linked from [0], and the community charter I
drafted at [1].

I'm currently release manager for the next Hugin release. And I intend
to mentor a successor on the release after that, now that most things
are well documented.

Another things I'm doing at the moment is "fixing" email notifications
from Mercurial repositories on SourceForge so that we can get the same
level of service from Hg as we get from SVN. Hg makes parallel
development easier. This will affect Enblend and Hugin, the two projects
I have influence on.

All of these are chores. From January 2010 I hope to spend more time
creating and less time organizing and administering. I'm just back home
from an incredibly fun photo shoot with one of the most dynamic Open
Source projects known to me. Great people. I'd pay to have customers
like these every day (but then I'd have to look for another way to make
a living - and I need a camera upgrade soon). It was great fun shooting
for the GIMP developers too.

Yuv

[0] http://wiki.panotools.org/Development_of_Open_Source_tools
[1] http://hugin.sourceforge.net/community/