[CREATE] OpenRaster fallbacks (proposal/RFC)

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Sep 3 00:44:55 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 02 September 2009, Martin Renold wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 10:12:48AM +0200, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > That sounds like a bug in Krita, it should be able to open it at 16bit,
> > or maybe it's just that the main image is always marked as RGB 8bit (very
> > likely) and the layer is actually 16bit, do you have the file so that I
> > can check ?
>
> http://mypaint.info/misc/16bitpng.ora
pfew :) Krita load the 16 bit RGB layer correctly. But the image from an ORA
file is always marked as RGB 8bit. Which raise the question of how to store the
color space of the image. And what should happen if the colorspace isn't
supported by the application ? Considering that the image colorspace is just a
rendering hint.

> > But if there is that API, we can as well says that the fallback can be
> > any kind of PNG, and people who only support RGB 8bit would be advised to
> > use that API.
>
> That doesn't sound so bad then. If we choose to make this official, then we
> should offer a kind of "compatibility test suite" of ORA files for
> developers to check against, as this case is easily overlooked.
Most definititely, associated with a PNG of how it should rendered.

> > On that point, I am not too concern about those breakage, I think that
> > OpenRaster goal is interoperability, but if that goal can only be
> > achieved in a year, it's not a big problem for me (as long as we
> > communicate on this). So what it is important is that mypaint keeps being
> > able to open old files created with older mypaint.
>
> There is a GIMP plugin being written, and I recently got mail from someone
> who wants to try implementing full-screen previews in a file browser
> (gloobus).
Ah cool. But I thought there was already one with gegl ?

--
Cyrille Berger