[CREATE] 2009 feedback to LGM 2010

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 12:49:21 PDT 2010

On 4/18/10, Femke Snelting wrote:

> We've now focused on art-schools because we feel there's a great
> potential for F/LOSS LG to make a breakthrough now. Students and
> teachers are really ready to see a shift. Description for this will be
> up soon.

I'm sending a post to blendernation right this minute to try getting
studios using Blender commercially on board.

> There's a small exhibit opening one month *before* the conference with
> experimental work done in F/LOSS (Inkscape).

Does libregraphicsmeeting.org say that? :)

> * Keep the buzz going – my feeling is that there is not enough going on
> in between conferences.
>
> still not ;-)?

I'm afraid so :(

> * BoFs should probably be recorded as well, at least audio
> ok, we need some kind of scheduling for this to make sure someone is there.
>
> I agree but would prefer taking minutes (audio being hard to process
> afterwards; maybe as back-up?) so I am working on scheduling this. Any
> volunteers that want to help record one or two?

I'll see If I can get my digital voice recorder to work :)

> * we need all the attention of local designers and content producers we
> can get — publish articles in local thematic magazines perhaps?
>
> You might get more of those than you can handle ;-) We've mobilized
> quite a network of designers from France, Belgium and The Netherlands.

Sweet :)

> * if we get this attention, we should better organize selling of books
> on using GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus and Blender (Blender movie DVDs too?)
> for little to no income, but publicity
>
> We are keen on setting up a bookshop. So: don't forget to bring your
> books to sell or showcase. We'll make a stall with books and printed
> matter people can leaf through and look at; if you have books or other
> graphical objects made in F/LOSS, please bring!

Maybe Blender Foundation wants to participate? IIRC David's "Chaos and
Evolutions" digital painting course should be ready by the time
conference starts.

> * we probably need some handouts for free software — something in the
> lines of LGM’07 newspaper, but smaller
>
> There's some  people working on a nice magazine I heard :-)

Yep :)

> * we need a better academic track by all means
>
> I guess you mean Computer Science / HCI? There are already quite some
> academics from Media Studies and cultural studies involved,

Excellent!

> * For the latter I think we should track scientific papers that relate
> to libre graphics tools.
>
> Would be interesting to know of more sources. The least we could do is
> draw up a reading list?

There is a rather dead page in CREATE's wiki on that.

P.S. Just a reminder: handsfree mics for people giving talks like last
year in Montreal :)

Alexandre