[CREATE] schema required for XML format?

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Apr 19 08:41:19 PDT 2010

Am 19.04.10, 11:17 -0400 schrieb Leonard Rosenthol:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Someone else tries to implement spectral data handling with the XML based
>> CxF format [1] for Oyranos. The documentation of CxF3 comes with a schema.
>> The CxF schema license is incompatible with open source.
>>

> As the ISO committee responsible for CxF is meeting tomorrow, can you please
> explain (in as much detail as possible) what is wrong with the license for
> the schema?  I will be happy to bring it up for discussion and get it fixed.

CxF3 License page 2 (top left):
"... consistent with the
Documentation (the "License"), provided that the
Software is accepted, adopted, presented and
used in its entirety without modification.
"
OSI The Open Source Definition paragraph 3 Derived Works:
"The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them
to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the original software.
"

CxF3 License page 4 (top left) 11.3 Effect of Termination:
"        11.3     Effect of Termination. Upon
termination of this License Agreement for any
reason, Licensee will immediately: 1) cease its
reproduction, publicly display, public performance,
use, importation and distribution of the Software,
Documentation and Derivative Works, 2) cease the
"
This might not be possible at all for widely distributed and hosted
software as open source is.

There might be more incompatibilities.

I have sent this infos before to Raymond Cheydleur.

> I will point out that v3 is still in development - the current standardized
> version of CxF is v2.  Does the v2 schema, as distributed by the ISO, have
> the same issue?

The licenses of CxF2 and CxF3 are identical in the according packages.

>> My question is,
>> Can a XML based format be properly implemented without the accompanying
>> schema? Would it render a great disadvantage to be not able to use and
>> distribute the available schema because of license issues? E.g. having the
>> XML Namespace refering to a URL with non redistributeable content.
>>

> The schema is only necessary if you wish to validate that the XML conforms
> to the grammar.
>
> Leonard

Well format conformance is one of the weak points with many CGATS files.
So I would guess validation is one of the interessting properties of the
new format.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--