[CREATE] panel discussion (proposal): Web apps

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Mon Apr 26 16:57:33 PDT 2010

Very good idea imho.

There is a shift from the desktop towards these web apps, especially since many of them are free—the irony :(

Though in the world of web apps free software already has the unique selling point that you can run many of the desktop programs headless on your webserver—try doing that with a commercial content creation program!

I’ve seen this done with fontforge a couple of times now; it powers the conversion engine for cufon, is used in osp’s Nancy. I think wikipedia used to use inkscape for converting svg, and I read of people using Open Office to generate pdf’s serverside.

But web apps with GUI’s are of course a bit of a tougher nut to crack…

Is there such a thing as a HTML+CSS+JS based port of GTK?

Eric Schrijver

Op 17 apr 2010, om 10:35 heeft Kai-Uwe Behrmann het volgende geschreven: