[CREATE] [LGF-LGA] Ok, let's start with a website

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Aug 13 09:34:33 PDT 2010

On 08/13/2010 09:35 AM, ricardo lafuente wrote:
> On 08/13/2010 01:56 PM, Schrijver wrote:
>> But I repeat i.m.h.o. it is more important to start with the actual
>> work of what should be *on* the website,
>
> +1!
>
> Btw, Jon's mention of "painting the bikeshed" is spot-on, imho. The
> following website

+2 (or whatever the appropriate response is)

I always hate to see some site somewhere in which someone has expended
great effort on some particular style, spent countless hours fiddling
with settings, steps back expecting accolades, but then ones reaction is
either (or both)

1. Well, it's attractive, but there is no useful content here.
2. I can see you have put a great deal of effort into this, but really
it sucks.

Almost always, the minimalist approach is the best. Don't have the style
compete with the content.

So I think the appropriate approach is the "Open Source Way"™, where
things begin on a small scale, with the expectation that the purpose of
the site and its content will progressively dictate how it develops,
that there will be mistakes made but it's better to make small mistakes
which can be easily undone, and you also know that the more people
actively involved with the project the better it will be, so you must
welcome help, welcome criticism, but especially welcome useful
suggestions as to where to proceed from where we are now.

Greg