[CREATE] [LGF-LGA] Ok, let's start with a website

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri Aug 13 23:19:07 PDT 2010

hi yuval

> On August 13, 2010 01:19:16 pm Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > one of the really huge problems I've seen in the community
> > is an urge to take over market while not providing viable solutions
> > for that very market.
>
> +1.  Let's be frank: it's called ego.  And since art is the
> expression of the artist's ego, it is intrinsically built into a
> community of artists.

i really love your critical view on our discussions and -- most of all
-- on how our software works.

it's one of the most valuable opinions on this list.

but this time i think you confused my ego with a try to show the pride
of our community?

since i've been doing the libre graphics booths at openexpo i've
noticed a double need:

- being able to show our projects in a organic way (i've created a
  leaflet for it... but it would be much better to have website i could
  point the people to).

- being part of a bigger organisation  (i've been asked so many times:
  "but what is libre graphics?" and it would have been much more
  effective being able  to answer "an international organization).

i've also indirectly noticed that in countries like italy (and i think
france, too) it's very important to be certified. it's not really
important what and how you have learned, but you have a paper saying
that you're the gimp/scribus/inkscape/... guy.

this is what i would like to achieve with a LGA.
(there are some other small things: but those are the main ones!)

i'd like you me to point to any existing project where we could attach
those activities and i will be very happy to do it there!
(just a warning: i won't ever create it under the url
http://create.freedesktop.org/libregraphics/ i don't think i have to
explain my reasons for it)

(btw. is it worth to make our software more professional if are not
able to show it? and yes, on a parallel track i'm also working in making
one of our programs more usable in a professional environment.)

btw2, for my ego, it's much more practical to invite any of my friends
with their kids (3 to 5 years is the best age...): it's so easy to be a
god for them!
i don't think i will ever try to strengthen my ego by discussing any
topic in a mailing list... it's so painful!

> The website(s) is a proxy for the visual identity of LG, which is
> that bike- shed that so many people want to imprint with their own
> ego.  I'm still looking for the stronger, mature, pragmatic team that
> will work with what exists instead of making just another wasteful
> attempt at changing its look. Add to it; tweak it; improve it; but
> don't ditch it just because you think you can make it visually nicer
> (sublective!) or technically sleeker (technology is subordinated to
> content, not the other way around).

personally, i'm convinced that we need a LGA and that it needs some
services offered over a website.

and -- if we stick to the website -- it should give the visitor a good
feeling about our software when she lands on it.
one of its main tasks will have to give her an overview of what LG is,
what software is around and what it can do (eventually also what it
can't.

i admit that i did not watch camille's presentation (for the same
reasons you didn't like it) but afaict his idea of a LGA is not too far
away from the one of mine (well: i don't know him well enough to say
anything about him... i've only met him once and exchanged some mails
with him!) and -- most important for me -- i have the feeling that it
is compatible view for it (and i must say that may ideas are really
not compatible .

voilà. even if i find very valuable to listen to the opinion expressed
on that list, i will step out from this discussion now.
i have the feeling that i have told enough about my reasons to support
the idea of a LGA and now i want to work on it.
i will go on reading the mails in this thread but i will only
participate in threads positively discussing the work to be done for the
LGA.

have a wonderful day
a.l.e