[CREATE] Fwd: Re: [LGF-LGA] Ok, let's start with a website

ginger coons ginger at adaptstudio.ca
Sun Aug 15 16:26:24 PDT 2010

> So we could create a magazine (available as PDF, and printed to people who
> want a paper edition, actually someone already started such a project, I
> think
> ?), or a booklet that could be send as "commercial" to companies, a book
> (either tutorial, or a "story" book with illustration created with our
> software).
> All done with free software. Then you can show the results to professional,
> and impress them. When I was a student, I participated in editing a student
> weekly newspaper, we managed to print in four colors using a two cylinders
> rotary printer, the seller was so surprised by the result that you could
> get
> with the machine, that he sent a few samples of our journal to the
> direction
> in Japan. This little story shows that if you do interesting things, you
> will
> get attention.
> There is already an impressive pool of artists using our software, lets
> pull
> them together to create material that display the power of our tools.

A great big +1 on the magazine. Just before LGM, Ricardo, Ana, Femke, a.l.e.
and I pulled together Libre Graphics Magazine #0. Since then, I've been
thinking seriously (as I plan workshops and talks for artists and design
students) about the value of doing such a magazine more frequently. I think
it would be a great vehicle around which to build some user community, as
well as a nice, professional public show of what F/LOSS graphics software
can do.

So I'm game to pick up where we left off on the magazine, and willing to add
some editorial weight to the effort. If anyone else is interested in working
on it too, all the better.

--
ginger "all-lower-case" coons
adaptstudio.ca