[CREATE] Gradients formulas

Olivier BERTEN olivier.berten at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 02:02:46 PST 2010

Well... I guess my question wasn't clear ;-)

What I'm looking for are the actual algorithms used for gradients
rendering in the different existing rendering engines. In other words:
how do I compute the color value of a point in a gradient.

Some underlying questions are:
How do you deal with middle point? isn't it just another color stop?
For the software dealing with different color models, how do you deal
with "mixed" gradients? from a RGB color to a CMYK color, for instance?
The "Color gradient" article on Wikipedia says "In digital imaging
systems, colors are typically interpolated in an RGB color space, often
using gamma compressed RGB color values, as opposed to linear." Who does
gamma compression? How?

I guess the best way to know that is to look at the code so here's for
Gimp. If you can give me directions for other rendering engines, that
would be great. I'd like to get an equivalent of the
gimp_gradient_get_color_at for other softwares.

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/app/core/gimpgradient.c

Thanks in advance :-)

Olivier