[CREATE] OpenRaster reference library - libora

Luka Čehovin luka.cehovin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 02:34:55 PST 2010

Hello,

My name is Luka and I am a mypaint developer (at least I think of me
as one, even though not much of my work had been accepted to the
master branch so far :) ).

For a few weeks there has been some discussion on mypaint list and irc
channel about a C library for OpenRaster IO to speed up the
saving/loading process for applications using OpenRaster and perhaps
to increase adoption of the standard ... I did some investigation
regarding libpng and I think that think that several improvements can
indeed be done regarding speed and memory usage (at least for
mypaint). I have been advised to move this discussion to this list and
to the Create wiki and this is what I have done. I have created a wiki
page ( http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenRaster/Reference_Library
) for brainstorming ideas and formulating the API. I am (at the
moment) trying to implement the functionality needed by mypaint ... so
I am a bit biased in this aspect. I hope that some developers of other
applications will join the effort as we may all benefit from it.

The problem that I see at the moment is that (on the wiki at least)
the standard seems to be unfinished ... please correct me if I am
wrong. It is very complex in some aspects and very undetermined in
other. My idea is to start with simple core functionality (things,
needed by the applications that already use OpenRaster) and then
expand if needed.

cheers,
--
Luka Čehovin