[CREATE] Application specific data in OpenRaster

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Jan 19 15:14:12 PST 2010

On Friday 01 January 2010, Jon Nordby wrote:
> On Friday 04 December 2009, you wrote:
> > > Off the top of my head, mostly in development branches, we have things
> > >
> > >  like: 1) A "strokemap" that contains information about which brush,
> >
> > color,
> >
> > >  et.c. was used where so you can pick it out from the image at a later
> > >  time. 2) The tile used to generate the background
> > >
> > > 3) A palette (as Gimp Palette Format or that XML based format)
> > >
> > > 2 and 3 could probably be standardized if we want to.
>
> yes definitely. The tile used for the background, should be part of the
>
> > option
>
> of a generated layer. While the palette, could belong to a "settings/"
>
> >  directory I think.
>
> Generated layers would be very useful for MyPaint. Anyone has a proposal
> for how to handle that?

I don't think there is, but I would see it follow the model of the filter
layer:

<generator type="standard:pattern">
  <params>
    <param name="image">path/to/image.png</param>
  </params>
</generator>

"generator" or any other name, I think pippin had other suggestions.

> Any specific reason for naming the directory "settings/" for palette? I see
> a palette more as metadata? The strokemap mentioned below should probably
> also go into this directory. What other things can we envision?

or a "swatchbook", "ressources", ideally the content of that dir would then
follow the specifications for swatchbook that other people are working on.

> > Not sure what a "strokemap" is ? But, if I understand correctly, Krita
also
> > have a similar feature, and it would be interesting to be interoperable.
>
> If I have an image consisting of several brush strokes, I can "pick" out a
> single brush stroke by clicking on it. This will change my current brush to
> the brush used to create this stroke, including settings, color and size.
> If the stroke is done on another layer, the current layer will also be
> switched to that.
> The "strokemap" is the data used to make this possible.
>
> These brushes and settings are specific to MyPaints brush engine, so
> obviously this data will not be of much value to applications not being
> able to represent such brushes/behavior.
>
> With Krita getting a MyPaint compatible brush engine, they might be able to
> interoperate, depending on the data structures used in this file. Martin
> Renhold is the one that knows most about that.
Well, there are many settings that are common to application, but I see more
the settings of that file to be a resource, it is out of the scope of
OpenRaster to define that format, so I would suggest that we define a directory,
and a list of recommended specification for what can be stored in that
directory (like .gbr files, gimp palettes, or the new palette format from
create, etc...).

--
Cyrille Berger