[CREATE] CREATE Digest, Vol 55, Issue 10

Jon Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Thu Jan 21 20:56:11 PST 2010

On Jan 22, 2010, at 5:06 AM, Cyrille Berger wrote:

> Ok, I will clarify my opinion. I agree that swatchbook is more than just
> colors, that includes gradient, pattern, brushes, etc... And that we currently
> have no easy way to exchange swatchbook, between users, and applications. So
> we definitely need a specification for swatchbook. However, what I do not know
> (and therefor I have no opinion) is wether we need a specification for the
> gradient themselves, or if SVG gradients are enough, or if something is
> missing in SVG gradients.

Yes. I did some analysis and it turns out that once you remove the physical applications of gradients (and thus also linear vs. radial gradients) SVG gradients are a subset of GIMP gradients.

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Swatch_Book#Gradient

I'm also working on implementing this *right now*  :-)

Well, we've got some stuff going here at linux.conf.au and Christoph S. needs the open format right away. Of course since I'll still be in New Zealand 'till the 1st, I'm not sure if it will happen in just a single day.

Oh, and to exchange things we are going to have "Viaduct" to at least fill in the gap.
http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Viaduct