[CREATE] OpenRaster BOF

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Tue Jun 1 15:36:59 PDT 2010

On Thu 27-May-2010 at 15:29 +0200, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

>We had a really good BOF session on OpenRaster today. More than twenty people
>joined and we had a wide-ranging yet still focussed discussion. Here's a short
>report on what we discussed. Jon, Martin and me are going to edit the spec
>accordingly today (or at least this weekend) and then put it up here again for
>comments.

>Here it is, as short bullet-points:

[snip]

>* Versioning: a possible future extension.

Sorry I wasn't there on Thursday, but versioning is something that
really appeals to me.

As I understand it the openraster format is to be implemented as a
ZIP file containing binary files and XML in a folder structure (much
like ODF).  If applications could optionally read and write this as
a 'real' folder structure on the filesystem, it would allow some
nice stuff:

I could open one of my 2 gigabyte multilayer images, change a layer
attribute, save, and all that would need to be written to disk would
be a bit of XML.

A multi-file structure would fit into existing version control
systems much better than a single ZIP file.

Bundling this structure into a 'normal' openraster file for
transport/archiving would be easily done.

--
Bruno