[CREATE] Libre Graphics Whatever - charter prototype

Andreas Vox avox at arcor.de
Wed Jun 2 03:22:55 PDT 2010

Hi,

maybe I should have explained why I propose a difference between Members and Endorsed Projects.

Endorsed Projects need not be members. They are the projects that should be promoted by the organization, ie.
1) LG software like Blender, Gimp, Inkcape, Krita, Scribus, ...
2) Open content sites like openclipart, openfontlib etc.
3) maybe others, like the Create Mailing list

The members decide which projets should be endorsed (a simple majority vote should be enough). Endorsed Projects are then promoted on the website and publications and *may* receive untargeted funding. I'll explain in an answer to Dave's post why I think this is needed.

As a corner case it would be possible that a project becomes an Endorsed Project which is not a member of the organization, or which even doesn't want to be endorsed (if that would be a wise decision is on another plate, but in the and a majority vote of members decide).

Members could be any person or organization that identifies the the goals of the organization. Very useful members would be the Endorsed Projects themselves and foundations like GNOME Foundation, KDE Foundation or Blender Foundation. Since most members would be natural persons and important votes need a 3/4 majority, the influence of organizational votes would be marginal. There are other reasons for organizations to be a member, which I will outline in the answer to Dave's post.

Membership fees should basically cover administration and communication needs of the organization. All other activities should be run as projects with dedicated funding.

Regards,
/Andreas