[CREATE] [LGF] A name !

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Jun 2 04:59:13 PDT 2010

Hi,

I would like to see 'Libre Graphics Something' where something is
Foundation, Group, Association, International, League, Consortium, Party,
etc. I like:

#1 Libre Graphics Group

#2 Libre Graphics International

#3 League of Libre Graphics

I don't think anyofthese as .org domains in full is too long, as Ricardo
said.

However, lg.o is surely attractive. If the current registrant is up for
selling it, I could be willing to stump (err english slang, I mean, donate
up-front) the $2000ish to buy the libregraphics.org domain on the condition
that within say 3 years the same amount be directed to some libre font
project I would propose.

I did mention oneclickorgs as a way to be our own independent org without
too much overheads, but actually that seems too heavy. Better to go to an
existing organisation to handle the legal/bank stuff, guarantee long term
stability and fully ethical/legitimate handling of money.

I believe the SFLC Conservancy is the best way to do that. I suggest people
unfamilar with it read their website.

While the classical GNOME/KDE rivalry seems cool these days, as Boud says,
probably best to avoid stirring it anyways and not use either's org. What's
the legal/org status of 'free desktop'? That would be my next preference.

3rd pref is SPI, who also offers this 'subsidiary' or 'trading name'
approach that the SFC offers.

Above all, using a surrogate org to handle administrivia means we can focus
on productive tasks like engaging professionals and institutions.

I've worked with the USA TeX Users Group to do this for funding the Open
Font Library. Worked well: An existing fiscal org with a proven past and
future adds a lot of legitimacy and safety for donors.

I hope someone can explain the status of freedesktop.org.

Regards, Dave