[CREATE] [LGF] Get a status : association, foundation ...

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Jun 4 01:24:13 PDT 2010

On 3 June 2010 22:27, a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:
> in countries like germany, france and switzerland it is very easy to set up an association.

Right - same as UK.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the UK you'd still need to, after
registering, write and agree on a constitution that defines how
elections are done, run an election to set up a committee with a
chair, membership secretary, treasurer, and perhaps other roles. Then
the treasurer needs to open a bank account and file a tax return (or
pay an accountant to file one) - and all the members and the public
need to trust that the committee will use the money legitimately and
fairly.

Using a surrogate organisation means the administration of the bank
account, filing a tax return, and the constitutional decisions are all
taken care of by a recognised entity that the members and the public
can trust to do things legitimately and fairly.

So no matter what the goals of the LGA are, I suggest starting out
with a surrogate organisation and later founding our own entity when
we really need to :-)