[CREATE] [LGF] Get a status : association, foundation ...

Joao S. O. Bueno gwidion at mpc.com.br
Fri Jun 4 05:13:36 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Dave Neary <dneary at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a.l.e wrote:
>> in switzerland (and i think in germany and france, too) you don't need
>> to register an association.
>
> In France we have something called "Associations loi 1901" - you need to
> register at the prefecture, lodge statutes, minutes of AGMs and the
> names & addresses of the officers of the association every year. No tax
> returns, if your budget is under a certain amount - but I suspect that
> with LGM the association will be over that limit.
>
> If you want donations to be tax deductible, you need to justify that
> your association is "d'intérêt général" - in the public/general interest.
>
>> what is harder to do, is to be recognized as a public interest non
>> profit organization (since free software is not so well known as
>> charitable activity and most of us refuse to exclude profits from the
>> uses of our software)... but: do we really need it?
>
> Bigger US donors will appreciate getting tax receipts for donations.
> SPI, SFC, GNOME Foundation are all already 501(c)3 organisations in the
> US, meaning that donations are tax deductible, and "related earnings" of
> the association are exempt from taxation.

I still think we could settler for both things:
have a low profile association, that would rely on a larger body for
dealing with paperwork, donations and refunds.  Our association itself
would be responsible for communication, arranging
meetings and ways to use the donations money, perhaps to fund
promising projects for specific purposes from time to time.

   js
  -><-