[CREATE] Decision for LGM 2011 venue — Action required

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 22:16:42 PDT 2010

2010/6/27 Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>

> On Saturday 26 June 2010, Alexandre Leray wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > On 06/26/2010 05:31 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> > > *What we ask here is to review the bids in the light of the guidelines,
> > > make sure you have all of them covered, and post your answers or
> > > questions here.*
> >
> > After reading the 3 proposals it is clear to us that we'd like the next
> > LGM to take place in Vietnam. Many reasons for this choice:
> >
> > 1. The Vietnam proposal is the most complete/detailed. A lot of
> > practical aspects has been covered in a very realistic way, showing the
> > pros, the cons and the overcomes. Hong Phuc has proved her
> professionalism.
> >
> > 2. The venue is booked, and seems to be very comfortable. We haven't
> > been to Montreal before, but we are sure it shares this point.
> >
> > 3. It is a chance to gather new comers and developers from Asia. As Hong
> > Phuc said during her presentation, Asia has a huge potential. Beside
> > that, Free software is about accessibility -- of code, of knowledge --
> > and in that respect we see no reasons to limit ourselves to western
> > venues (we'd love to see LGM 2012 in Brazil.).
> >

> That point is very important to me. Though we will have to find a way to
> increase the travel budget a lot, I support Vietnam as the next location

Hi Boud,

You’re raising many points in the same sentence.

Do we need to go to a specific area on the globe to have new developers from
that area ? I can hardly agree with this as an argument in favor of just
about any venue. Who ever has Internet access, no matter where he/she lives,
can participate in just about any project. LGM is precisely interesting
because it gathers people from all the world. Only budget or ignorance
prevents someone to come to LGM and / or contribute to a project.

Yet, this is not part of the guidelines.

But...

With the new Francophonie sponsor we now have a mean to bring more people to
LGM, especially from Asia and Africa. And I also believe that if the Bank of
Brasil can be a local sponsor to support LGM in Brasil, why shouldn’t it be
a sponsor, no matter where LGM takes place? After all, Free Software is
adopted on a large scale in Brasil. Everyone using Free Software on the
planet is gaining a strong benefit from LGM, this is out of question.

The other issue you raise is the budget. Can we double it? Triple it? This
is what we have to find out. Maybe we have already some answers to propose.
We have to find out if we can make that a firm commitment.

So far, budget has always been an issue. Can things change? Could be. How?
This remains to be clearly established. Not an easy question to answer.

So, how can we possibly conclude on one venue given the information we have?

In my view, we’re missing the critical information.

Please let us know your answers as a team leader to the guidelines. This
will be most helpful.

Thanks!

Louis