[CREATE] LGM2011 Launch Timings + pledgie drive

ginger coons ginger at adaptstudio.ca
Fri Feb 11 16:29:50 PST 2011

> Yesterday when we talked I put the idea of having a design contest for LGM.
> We'd open it soon, close it about 2-3 weeks before LGM starts, pick the best
> 15 projects (we would ask people to use any open source tool and produce a
> printable poster of 24“ X 36“ that I would print at my office). The pick for
> those 15 would be made by the people voting and then for the last call, to
> determine the winner out of the 15 semi-finalists we could have a jury (?)
> made of (?) professionals, teachers (tbd) and then we have a winner and
> possibly a prize (?) — a Linux box filled with the software ? Thinking out
> loud... Those posters would be all over the place in Galerie Rolland at
> Polytechnique so we'd own the place graphically ! :)

On that, Femke and I batted the idea around a little more after you went
offline. In my experience, designers tend to shy away from things framed as
contests. However, it might be very appropriate to call it a juried
exhibition, with an accompanying online exhibition (containing all
submissions). That way, we could have 15 selected by our jury (some
suggestions for jury members are, I believe, in the wiki) but still provide
exposure and attention to others. We also thought that it might be nice to
choose another 15 to print in a later issue of Libre Graphics magazine.

--
ginger "all-lower-case" coons
adaptstudio.ca