[CREATE] LGM2011 Launch Timings + pledgie drive

Femke Snelting snelting at collectifs.net
Sat Feb 12 03:45:10 PST 2011

Hello

(let's keep ginger, our other local in the loop and/or should we discuss this on CREATE?)

>     I think better then to keep in lock-step about that plan. For the
>     talks, we know about it, shorter time means higher quality...and in
>     the end, its a bit of ballot box stuffing on getting talks...one thing
>     that would be really nice is to make cuts on talks too! and/or
>     recommendation for updates on other talks...at some point, just
>     accepting everything allows noise.
>
> 2011 will be the raise of the panels ! :) (so less noise !!!!)
>
> Less talks, more meetings and scheduled team and among teams meetings
> too. That way, we really meet !

Not sure about needing less talks, but in favour of having a few well-prepared, moderated panels :-)

> Yesterday when we talked I put the idea of having a design contest for
> LGM. We'd open it soon, close it about 2-3 weeks before LGM starts, pick
> the best 15 projects (we would ask people to use any open source tool
> and produce a printable poster of 24“ X 36“ that I would print at my
> office). The pick for those 15 would be made by the people voting and
> then for the last call, to determine the winner out of the 15
> semi-finalists we could have a jury (?) made of (?) professionals,
> teachers (tbd) and then we have a winner and possibly a prize (?) — a
> Linux box filled with the software ? Thinking out loud... Those posters
> would be all over the place in Galerie Rolland at Polytechnique so we'd
> own the place graphically ! :)

Louis, have a look at the titanpad/notes on wiki -- we described a possible scenario: ginger and me talked extensively about your offer to print posters and we felt it is a great idea. We both prefer to rather invite people to make posters available as free content (including sources!) and than have a discussion about them @ LGM (not a contest), to pick a few for printing and to feature others in Libre Graphics Magazine. Maybe re-discuss with ginger next week; we're ready to organise it and make it interesting for different types of participants.

>      > Femke : closing the call for talks ~3 weeks before LGM sounds
>     reasonable ?
>      > Friday April 22?

ok, great!