[CREATE] LGM11 panel proposal: attracting new devs

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri Feb 18 06:46:54 PST 2011

hi jon,

>> after having read
>>
>> http://libregraphicsworld.org/articles.php?article_id=28
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://www.chromecode.com/2011/02/why-gimp-28-is-not-released-yet.html
>>
>> i wonder if at the next LGM we should not propose a pannel / workshop where
>> we can discuss / present strategies for attracting new developers in the
>> libre graphics.
>>
>> what do you think about it?
>
> Good initiative. However, I think that "attracting new devs" is a bit
> to narrow an approach. A project can have new people stop by every
> week and still not be productive. I'm thinking something along the
> lines of "How to keep and make productive libre graphics projects?".
> Having a steady inflow of new developers is part of that, but just a
> means to an end in my book.

yep, "getting new developers involved" may be a better title...

just to be clear: it's not mostly about a marketing strategy, but rather
about structures and processes that can help new developers getting
involved.

one point is indeed getting (potential) developers to feel attracted by
our projects (attracting them...) but, i agree with jon that the harder
part is about getting their contribution in the projects!

ciao
a.l.e